I've include the one penny piece in the picture below to give you an idea of the actual size of the studs.
These particular studs were 2mmx2.5mm, there are other sizes and colours available as well.
- Base Nail Polish
- Born Pretty Nail Art Studs
- Seche Vite Top Coat recently thinned with Seche Restore
- Two hoof sticks, one with some cotton wool attached
- A clean surface to work on
- A lot of patience :)
- Apply base polish and finish with Seche Vite to speed up the dry time
- Ensure the nail is completely dry 1-2 hrs
- Decide where you want the studs to go and apply one tiny drop of Seche Vite to a small spot on the nail, where you want to place the first stud
- Apply a tiny amount of Seche Vite to the cotton covered hoof stick
- Use the cotton covered hoof stick to pick up the stud
- Carefully place the stud over the spot of Seche Vite
- Use the other hoof stick to carefully reposition the stud exactly where you want it
- Repeat this process for placement of all other studs
- Optional finish with top coat to further seal the studs
The Results - 3 different looks
A Line of Studs
with Illamasqua Scorn a matte finish polish and Illamasqua Load for the accent nail
This was probably the trickiest out of the 3 manicures, it's quite hard work to get the studs perfectly straight.
with OPI Suzi Skis in The Pyrenees Suede
This was definitely the easiest of the 3, as there's a lot more room for error, and the randomly placed spikes really look effective.
With Nails Inc Magnetic Effect Polish in Trafalgar Square
Probably the least practical of the bunch, but perfect for a night out, a very unique and punky take on the french manicure, and the magnetic polish really works great as a base for studs.
You can create so many different style manicures with these studs, I opted for an accent nail, but there's no reason you can't do a whole hand. The tiny size of the studs means you do need a rather steady hand and a lot of patience, I imagine the larger studs would be far easier to apply.
I found these manicures lasted around 1-2 days before the first stud dropped. To be honest it's definitely not an every day manicure, as the studs can get in the way, you certainly want to take care wearing hosiery with these studs :) but for a night out they make for a really cool alternative manicure. I really enjoyed these and will definitely be re-using them!
if you're interested in trying these out for yourself click here, you get 100 studs for $4.33, and you can receive 10% off your order by using the coupon code below :D